Monday, September 15, 2008

Randomnicity (09.15.08 Edition)

1. I almost pulled a Noah to avoid the torrential flooding that the Chicago area endured this weekend. I didn't float away but there was so much flooding that Nielsen shut down today because of a lack of electricity. With a day off, it feels like I'm back in grade school all over again (although I don't think we ever had a "rain day"... just snow days).

2. Today's firing of Ned Yost. Wow. I guess with only 12 games left in the season the Brewers needed to do something beyond changing the batting order to shake things up. But I'm worried it's too little, too late.

3. Speaking of the Brewers, I did manage to see two of September's three victories thus far. Low scoring, but very exciting nevertheless. I've got pictures on Facebook but I still need to put them up on my WebShots.

4. Politics, Part I. *sighs* I love it and hate it all at the same time. It holds true that there are certain things you shouldn't talk about without fear of dismemberment: religion, politics, and (for Wisconsinites) Brett Favre. Politics begets immense frustration. For me, my frustration with conservatives comes in the form of social progress (e.g. equality, fair rights, acceptance, and all those other key words). I get the fact that Republicans are against growing government (I'm not exactly crazy over it, either) but in terms of our society I can't help but feel that conservatives want to keep America from moving forward, from being a better country than we currently are. I don't define myself as a Democrat but there's no way I can vote for a Republican if they take their typical stance on what I consider the key issues.

5. Politics, Part II. A few things I've noticed this year with McCain backers. First, they aren't so much backing McCain as hatin' on Obama. To me, it seems that their inevitable vote isn't so much a vote for McCain as it is a vote against Obama. Instead of spending time trying to highlight their reasons for suporting McCain, all I see is way too much time spent ripping Obama a new one(sometimes with fair points, but more often than not... not). Second, conservatives are more excited over Palin than McCain--almost to the point where I think people sometimes start to think of this as Obama vs. Palin and not Obama vs. McCain. One thing I'm completely over, though: using Facebook to be "crafty" about voicing one's own politics, and to judge--without coming across as judging--others who may not share your viewpoints. I did that last time around and it's not worth the time. My time is better spent in civil conversation (that's how I got a few of my friends to change their minds and vote the other way last election).

Anyways, that was all just stuff on my mind. Moving on...

6. Molly and I ordered and received an eight-piece bedroom set this week. It's part of our systematic room-by-room process of upgrading what we own, and finally starting to part ways with all the hand-me-down furniture we've accumulated. It's pretty awesome.

7. How is summer over already? I feel like I didn't even take full advantage of enjoying the summer season. Is this what's it like when you're working full time?

8. I can already tell that fantasy football is affecting the way I enjoy regular football... "Ooh, ooh go Steelers except only pass to Santonio Holmes because that's who I have and don't pass to Hines Ward or rush with Willie Parker because that's who the other guy has!" This was what Molly endured last night, but I've had very similar experiences.

9. So I've been reading this book called Heyday by Kurt Andersen... since May. Yeah, that's a little ridiculous. But I finally finished it last night! Now I think I've got to finish The Historian, which I'm half way through. I hate reading more than one book at one time--so why am I doing it?

10. You know what I like? Breakfast for dinner. On tonight's menu: waffles. Mmmm....

-KP

"I felt like an idiot so I've been reading up on this Iraq situation. You know what's so messed up? I just got to the part where President Bush gave his mission accomplished speech on a battleship, and I've still got like 400 pages to go."
-J.D., Scrubs

1 comment:

Ema said...

I understand the position you are in- as McCain supporter who WAS a Democrat, it is true that because Obama is so flawed in the things I hold to be important- I believe he is a poor judge of character, and a lack of committment to anything (i.e. FISA and campaign finance, AND the war)

I guess with all of the negative ads swirling from both sides, I had to go deeper this time- back to my roots as a blue collar Marine brat daughter to a Viet nam vet, as a woman with a special needs child. . . A ticket with no ties to hamas, and well, I made my choice based not just on that, but the reaction to that ticket by a party and a society that I believed had my back. . .I was STUNNED by the "can she do it and be a mom" and the "she should be home with her kids" and of course some would always ask, but democratic women and liberal women were asking this of her. . .women with kids like Couric and O'Brien. . .so yeah I get your vibe and feel it too. I just decided that I could no longer support a party as a whole, because the powers that be in that party made it clear to me that they were not supporting white trash, blue collar, rags to riches, dumb ass to doctoral student, former teen moms on welfare like me. . .;)

M out and off the soap box. . .:)