Sunday, May 11, 2008

Kermit was right...

...it's not easy being green.

At least, it takes a little more thought and effort than the normal routine. I should say that the environment has become increasingly important to me over the last couple of years, where it never used to really phase me. There's only a finite amount of space and resources on this Earth (I have opinions on overpopulation, too, but will save that blog for a rainy day) and I feel that we, as a people and as a society, need to start acting responsibly.

In the last six months or so Molly and I have started using reusable shopping bags, buying the energy efficient light bulbs, and buying any cleaner that Seventh Generation makes. It's not much, but it's a start.

One can argue that "buying green" correlates with a skinnier wallet, but that's a choice I've accepted and am okay with. The hard part, I feel, is mastering the reusable shopping bag. Molly and I are batting a thousand on our regular shopping trips to Jewel, but we forget to bring the bags every time should we pick up a few things next door at the the Garden Fresh Market (where they seem to put every individual item in its very own plastic bag) or if we go to Target. Granted, we recycle whatever plastic bags we accumulate but, still... it seems that getting into the habit of "being green" is the hardest part about it.

-KP

"Kristen's cute in that 'I wanna marry you so I could divorce you someday' kind of way."
-Johnny Drama, Entourage

2 comments:

Chetter said...

I agree, it seems like although they are little steps to living greener, it's very difficult. I myself have yet to master the reusable shopping bag, although I do take them to the farmer's market (where they also put every thing in individual bags). And if I'm only picking up one thing from Walgreens or a similar store, I wont' take a bag. Another "green" improvement we've made on the house is harvesting rain water to water our lawn/plants with. For $35 you can purchase a huge rain barrel and hook your hose up to it. Okay, and our last (and probably grossest) green "improvement" is that we now live by the motto "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down". That was probably TMI.

Chetter said...

We need more blogging!!!