Friday, December 5, 2008

Randomnicity (12.05.08 Edition)

1. This week has gone by at light speed for me. I'm getting more and more projects to do at work, which is a good sign in regards to job security but means there are just not enough hours in the day to get them all done. Although 'job security' is a laughable term when the company laid off even more people this week. It's absolutely ridiculous. I think my department is done as far as job cuts go but one can't feel safe in today's economy.

2. Some of you know that I've become a bit of a comic book geek in recent times. I never was into comics as a kid but I started buying the Buffy: Season Eight comic a few years ago because Buffy is one of my all-time favorite shows. However, that has slowly morphed into me buying more and more comics. I do a decent job curbing the impulse to by the trade paperbacks since I re-discovered interlibrary loan, but I'm spending $10-12 a week on the monthlies in the comic book store and I still want to buy more. It's getting a bit ridiculous and I have to start practicing some self-control.

3. I was a big fan of survey methodology and questionnaire design in grad school so I positively geeked out when I got selected to be a part of the American Community Survey. Way to go, random selection!

4. I've stopped watching Heroes. It's actually been about a month now. It is so horrid that I just couldn't do it any longer. And it takes a lot for me to stop watching a show.

5. The Packer game last weekend was really fun but, for the life of me, I just cannot understand why they can't win close games. That's like--what?--four games they've lost by six points or less? C'mon!

6. This was the first year Molly and I played fantasy football (thanks, Frank!) and we both somehow managed to make it into the playoffs. MoPo even clinched a first-round bye. Things could get ugly, however, if I manage to win this weekend because that would mean we face each other next week. And MoPo isn't friendly when she's competitive.

7. I made a new BFF in my apartment building. After work one night I walked up to the third floor to grab some stuff out of our storage unit when a guy around my age stopped to introduce himself. He was a bit disheveled looking, talked a lot, but was rather friendly in that really awkward sort of way. Then, about three minutes into the conversation he paused and asked if I wanted to smoke with him (and I'm not talking cigarettes). Very bizarre dude.

8. Last episode of Boston Legal next week. I hate how the writers always write characters off the show without explaining it but, man, listening to Spader and Shatner is a hoot. It's too bad it's going off the air.

That's all for now. Check ya later.

-KP

"The only show on TV with starring roles over 50 is Bo--. Well, I can't say the rest... it'll break the wall."
-Carl Sack, Boston Legal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heart BREAKS over Heroes. . .comets can break the heart of the fan, huh?

I was wondering how the job status was going. . .glad for the cushion of more work!

MoPo? Competitive? C'mon:)

You know, you SO do not have to be a geek to love random selection. . .:)

M out