Sunday, December 21, 2008

Killstorms

I'm not sure that the last two winters have been any worse than normal but, from my experiences, they have been two of most 'reactionary' winters I can remember.

I should preface this by saying that I don't freak out easily when driving. Quite frankly, I'm not about to let something as uncontrollable as weather dictate anything I have going on. To illustrate: a few years ago I can remember Molly, Matthew, and I driving up to Madison from Waukesha during some pretty bad snowfall... it took us 2.5 hours to make that hour long drive but there was fun to be had once we reached our destination (so screw you, snow!).

Now that I have a job I'm constantly humored by the degree to which my coworkers freak out at the prospect of a little snow. Granted, Chicagoland traffic adds an additional dimension to winter driving but you'd think the world could end at the mere possibility of two or more inches of snowfall.

One thing (among many) that peeved me off last week was that one of my coworkers decided to work from home because it was supposed to snow... which didn't even happen until around 3pm. Never mind the fact that working from home is severely frowned upon by our Senior VP. Unless the roads are actually hazardous--and truly 'hazardous', not just an individual definition of 'hazardous' suited for one's own convenience--I feel that you should be where you're supposed to be and just deal with it.

Chalk snow freak-out's under Things KP Just Doesn't Get.

-KP

7 comments:

Chetter said...

I remember many times driving out to the 'Sha during a snowstorm to hang out with you guys!

By the way, Jimmy requests MoPo's prescence at the superbowl should it be Giants vs Colts :)

Anonymous said...

THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!

Ema said...

I am with you KP- I am also surrounded by snow freakout people. . .

I would think that Chitown would not be any different with snow- only the landscape changes. . .the people in the cars are the same:)

M out

Jessica said...

I swear it used to start snowing every Wednesday night just as I was leaving Milwaukee. Some nights it took me 3 hours to get home, and I don't miss it.

I am well prepared for road emergencies of any kind but I still avoid driving in it when possible. I am slightly concerned about Brian's commute at the moment, seeing as how I-88 is shut down west of DeKalb...

KP said...

Thanks for the Caps Lock, Anonymous.

notasecretagent said...

CAPS LOCK IS FOR COOL KIDS.

People have been freaking out about weather more lately. I think it's because they're on their way to do things they don't actually want to do, like work.

Chetter said...

I'm with you Jessie - as soon as it starts flurrying outside I hope for a snow day just so I don't have to go to work :)