Thursday, August 14, 2008

Randomnicity (08.14.08 Edition)

1) I get positively giddy over the fact that the Brewers are currently sitting at 19 games over .500. However, it confounds me that I've only been to a single game this year. Thankfully, I've got three games scheduled for September (including one at Wrigley Field on the 17th). This makes me happy since I spent the money on a Ryan Braun jersey and have yet to wear it.

2) Our annual "camping" trip was awesome, as always. In three words? Slip and slide. Camping is always a great excuse to get stupid with some of my best friends, as some pictures will demonstrate more than others--check 'em out here if you'd like.

3) I'm hungry. I need it to be lunch time.

4) I was pleased with Aaron Rodgers' performance during the first preseason game. And I was blown away when the fans gave him a standing ovation to start the game. Packer fans, indeed.

5) I am participating in a fantasy football league this year for the very first time. Upon joining, I spent half a day researching strategy. This made me wonder if there are better things I should be doing with my life.

Nah.

6) Doesn't 2003 seem like it was relatively recent? Mentally, I think it was yesterday but then I go and look at some of the pictures I took when I studied abroad and it makes me go, "Wow, gee, that was eons ago!" Similarly, sometimes I feel like I just graduated high school last year. And that's just crazy.

7) My work is doing this whole 70/20/10 raise thing for next year and I'm not looking forward to it. Apparently it's based on some GE model that says 70% of employees within a department will get standard cost-of-living type salary increases, 20% will get more than that, and 10% will get absolutely no raise at all. I will get very pissed off if I'm somehow deemed to be in that lowest 10%.

8) That Michael Phelps is just crazy! He eats twelve thousand calories in a day! Seriously? Seriously.

9) Molly and I went up north last weekend. My aunt and uncle (who I don't get to see very much) went up for a few days, too. The cool thing? My cousin had a kid 6 months ago and my aunt and uncle decided to take the baby along with them and give the parents a bit of a break. I think that's incredibly awesome--they deserve a medal.

10) I should go and work out tonight but, realistically, I'll just end up playing Madden.

-KP

"Dr. Turkleton!"
"Actually sir, it's just Turk."
"That's your first name."
"You think my name is Turk Turkleton?"
-Dr. Kelso & Turk, Scrubs

4 comments:

notasecretagent said...

I don't want to call you guys so late, but I want to let you know I'm not moving to Utah. Sorry to disappoint. :/

Miss you guys!

Ema said...

What kind of morale smashing crap is THAT? Raises on a fucking curve?? Fecking hell!

M

Jessica said...

If an employee doesn't deserve a cost of living increase, are they even worth having around? Or shouldn't they at least get some kind of mentoring to get them to be better employees? I'd love to better understand the logic/thought process that goes into these kinds of things.

KP said...

You've got it right, Jessica... it really is just a crappy way to weed out the less-than-stellars (and according to my boss being in the lowest 10% shouldn't come as a surprise to the person) but there are still so many problems with using this kind of raise structure...

Hopefully I'm safe... at least no one has said I suck yet!