Thursday, August 7, 2008

#4 Redux



Chances are that at some point you and I have had a conversation about the soap opera that is Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. I haven't hidden the fact that I've sided more with the organization, which says a lot coming from a guy who chucked out a good deal of cash to see Favre play at Lambeau Field--not once, but twice--before he retired. Favre has been the only QB I've really known and I think he's worthy of all the praise Packer nation heaps upon the guy. I am a big Brett Favre fan. Watching him play is spectacular.

During past offseasons, I always cheered for his return for another year--even when he wasn't performing so well and some called for his retirement. After the Packers lost the championship game I still wanted him to come back (even though I thought he had the perfect opportunity to ride off into the sunset). And I won't lie--I felt numb when I first saw the headline stating Favre was retiring. I watched the retirement press conference at my desk at work.

He's a great football player.

Wait, then--if that's true then why have I sided more with the Packers instead of the future Hall of Famer? It comes down to one simple but overarching fact: Brett Favre decided to retire, then decided to unretire. Then the drama began. Who knows... maybe all my criticisms stem from the fact that Favre isn't very media friendly.

But as a certain red-headed hottie said to me today, Favre has kind of acted like a prima donna. The way I see it, how many times did Favre leave the front office wondering if he'd return? This was the one time they gave him a deadline. I don't think that's outrageous. The Packers needed to plan their future--and they gave Favre the power to make that decision, whichever way he wanted. All subsequent actions by the Packers were dictated by Favre. He made the decision, then he unmade it. The "unretirement" was heartbreaking in and of itself. But I can understand why the Packers were less than enthused to take him back based on all their actions, which were all based upon the simple fact that Favre decided to retire.

Would I have liked Favre to play for the Packers again? Absolutely. Do I think the Packers would have won more games this year had Favre been the QB? Yes. However, once Favre retired, I shifted my mindset into supporting the Packers and the development of Aaron Rodgers. He's sat on the bench for three years and it's time to figure out if he's the right guy. It'll suck if he can't do it, but we as Packers fans need to finally know. Can he play as good as he did in college? Are his injuries flukes or is he really made of glass? These questions need to be answered for the long term interests of the team.

Ok, so that's a novel and I didn't mean it to get that lengthy. However, I do want to end this by reiterating one point again: I am a Favre fan. Once I read the news today, I couldn't believe we traded away the man who, for 16 years, was the face of the Green Bay Packers. My previous thoughts and feelings didn't make it any less weird to see him with a Jets hat on and holding up his #4 Jets jersey. I honestly hope he does well, I'll root for him, and I hope he reminds us constantly that we traded away a great QB.



-KP

3 comments:

notasecretagent said...

I agree. I'm really sad that it turned out this way, but he was acting like a child - he didn't speak to a single Wisconsin-based journalist through this entire thing. To me, he's become classless, and that's bad. I thought he was such a great, down-to-earth guy who appreciated the fans in this state.

Evidently not, from his actions the last few months. Ridiculous. If he had doubts (which I think he did, judging from how that press conference went), he shouldn't have left in the first place. He's BRETT FAVRE. They would've let him play.

Georgiann said...

Favre is a nerd.

Since I don't follow sports, I really don't have an opinion on this matter.

However, while living in Milwaukee I always found it sort of weird that everyone kissed Favre's booty at the end of each season wondering and hoping that he wouldn't retire. Who cares?

In my ignorant opinion, I think any team that invests that much (personally, financially, etc.) in ONE person is sort of constructing an ego-craze monster---which Favre seems to have become.

Ema said...

They were discussing this situation along with the Manny R. drama on the BoSox end. . .and in the end both got traded. . .

I never got to see him play live, but saw many a game- and I agree with you, HE decided to retire, HE changed his mind late late LATE, and if the Packers roll over with him yapping about how he 'could not get past the personal issues" that he, Favre created with his back and forth ways. . .well, then what? Hold the team hostage for this one guy, talented but now acting like a jerk?

Painful, but really the only call that could be made to save face and morale. . .now SIGN GRANT!!!!

M