1. Molly and I watched the returns on CNN last night. CNN, apparently, has decided it is the 24th century and has implemented hologram technology ala Star Trek. There's nothing like seeing will.i.am being interviewed as a hologram.
2. I got giddy when they projected Pennsylvania, but I was still cautious. Cautious went out the window when they projected Ohio. Then, when the polls closed on the west coast and the president-elect announcement was made... that was a special moment.
3. It was also pretty special seeing Roland Martin (a CNN contributor who is African American) tear up on the air. He told the story of his nieces and nephews having dreams of what they wanted to be when they grew up but, when they said they wanted to be president, couldn't help but think that they needed to redirect those ambitions. But now, with the way this election has turned out, their dreams are entirely possible to achieve. Obama's election is a big deal to a lot of people who felt they didn't have access to the 'American Dream'.
4. I got pretty emotional during Obama's speech. I'm not a fool--he's not going to make this country one for me to be proud of overnight, but I believe with all my heart that he is the better man for the job and that he can eventually turn this country around. The fact that this country elected this particular man... it gives me hope. It really does. And it's not blind hope.
5. This year's ballot measures on banning gay marriage aren't looking so good, are they*? This makes me sad. I don't like living in a society where such prejudice, intolerance, and discrimination is still the status quo (and, unfortunately, not even Obama gives me hope on this one...).
*Proposition 8 had the support of 52% of the counted votes (92% of precincts reporting) when I wrote this.
6. Arkansas' ban on gay couples adopting children? *sighs*
7. I'm really glad, though, that Colorado's proposed amendment to define human life from the moment of conception failed miserably. That would have been very dangerous territory.
8. Go, Michigan. Allowing medicinal marijuana and stem cell research. Seems rather progressive of you...
And that, my friends, is that for the day. I probably should get some work done.
-KP
2 comments:
It's been REALLY interesting to read the reaction to the election from people in other countries (and this country...). Some people are thrilled, and others seem to be under the impression that we voted for Obama so the rest of the world would stop hating us.
Uh... pretty sure the world needs someone to hate. Pretty sure that's always going to be us. We need a president to help fix our country, not to make the rest of the world give us a hug.
Though it will be interesting to leave the country and not have people give me a hard time for the decisions I don't agree with made by someone I didn't vote for. That'll be different.
Yes, it does appear that Prop 8 is not turning out as hoped. . .and I think you are wise to be cautious in your wishes for change. . .I remember well the unrestrained wish list for Clinton, the man FROM Hope you know.
My emotions were high as well. . .I was hoping for my daughter's sake that despite all the attacks, she would have something to dream about for her future.
Oh, well, there will be other elections, I hope someday a woman will scale that last wall. . .
M
Post a Comment