Our friends Luke and Sandy held a party at their house in Bucktown to kick off summer the right way. It had all the normal summer party staples: grilling out, eating way too much junk food, and drinking copious amounts of alcohol (in my case, Miller Chill). However, two extra-ordinary situations occurred.
#1
Guess who came to dinner? Barack Obama's national political director. I shit thee not. It turns out one of Sandy's friends is actually dating the guy. It was a phenomenal conversation (and one that Molly is still as giddy as a school girl over). I mean, how cool is it to drink beer, eat brats, and talk politics with someone thatclose! to Obama? (Also, cool little aside: since he's now going to oversee convention operations for the DNC, Sandy and her friend actually get to go to it.)
#2
Sometime during the evening we started hearing sirens pass close by. Most of us didn't think anything of it because, well, sirens are a normal thing to hear in urban landscapes. However, a little while later we noticed that the clouds were very low and moving like a freight train. Then we realized they weren't clouds. They were smoke. So, beverages in hand, most of us wandered down the street where an apartment building had caught on fire. (The irony? It was located right next to the fire station).
Before too long the fire had spread to the next building, and soon after that, to the third building over. I've never seen anything like it--all the firefighters, all the smoke. And furthermore--the police didn't even keep us from getting that close. They just wanted us to stay across the street. Not something I'll forget any time soon... especially since one of the residents was there, inebriated beyond inebriation, wanting to go inside. Her friends literally had to pick her up by her hands and feet to get her away from the situation.
*UPDATED*
Here's a link to an article about the fire:
-KP
"Today is Toby Flenderson's last day. I couldn't sleep last night. I came in extra early, so much energy. There's certain days that you know you will remember for the rest of your life. And I just have a feeling that today is one of those days."
-Michael Scott, The Office
2 comments:
Way cool! I admit I'm a little jealous :)
Wow, I would link you to my blogspot page, but you would probably hate me- I am so NOT a supporter of this person. . .but oh well, nice you could chum with the mucky mucks. . .I invited him to dinner, though his Myspace, he did not reply:( But you already know I am not. . .riiiight:)
So- miss UWM? Did not think so! Glad you are all doing well. . .nice to see Leslie! That baby is so cute. . .sigh. I am done with cursework, and wil be a doctor in about 2 years:)
M out
Post a Comment